PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is one of the leading causes of infertility in women. It affects both those in the reproductive age and others. A woman has a 25% chance of conceiving with a normal menstrual cycle, but with the irregularities of periods, the chances are decreased which needs medical assistance. PCOS is characterized by a major hormonal imbalance in the body where a woman produces more androgens than the female hormones like estrogen and progesterone. Where a woman has either of the following conceiving becomes hard
- Ovarian cancer
- Menstrual cycle disorders
- Any other PID
PCOS & INFERTILITY
The major cause of PCOS is not yet identified, but genetics and hormonal imbalances are the big players. Excessive production of male hormones in a woman is a symptom of PCOS. Women with PCOS will have improper development and release of eggs during ovulation. This decreases her chances of conceiving. Women with PCOS are also affected by high insulin levels and they are more likely to develop diabetes. Metformin medications are used to cap the sugar levels in a woman.
The symptoms of PCOS are Hirsutism, which is the increased growth of unwanted hair in the facial areas, arms and the legs, difficulty to ovulate, acne breakout, menstrual disorders and obesity.
TREATMENT OF PCOS, OVULATION INDUCTION AND INFERTILITY MANAGEMENT
PCOS lead to infertility and that is the worst part of it for any couple. Its proper diagnosis, treatment, and management can help women ovulate and conceive normally. PCOS Treatment in India has been for long performed through surgeries. Not all women will have to undergo a surgery, but where necessary a doctor will have to operate on a patient. A laparoscopic ovarian diathermy is done to bring about ovulation induction.
- A Bariatric surgery is another type of surgery for obese PCOS patients
- Fertility drugs such as Clomid or Gonadotrophins can be prescribed for a patient to stimulate ovulation and help her produce mature eggs each month
- In the case of other infertility factors, Assisted Reproduction Techniques can be used. They include;
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) where drugs are given to a woman to stimulate ovulation and eggs are extracted from her. The sperms are washed and joined with the eggs in a Petri dish in the laboratory. Once fertilization occurs and there is cell division, the healthy embryo is transferred back to a woman’s uterus for development and implantation.
- ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) can also be performed where a single sperm is directly injected into the egg from the women and transferred back to her uterus.
- GIFT, where the eggs and the sperm are joined and immediately taken to the uterus for fertilization can also be an alternative
- Blastocyst Transfer where IVF is performed and after 6 or 7 days, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus
- Assisted Hatching is also an option.
PCOS TREATMENT COST IN INDIA
The treatment cost depends on the type of treatment taken as mentioned above. The cost also depends on the treatment cycles taken by the patient or the couple. Choosing the right doctor and hospital will lower the rate of expenditure in PCOS treatment and related medications.