There are different factors which can affect the women’s ability to conceive naturally. One of the factors is uterine fibroids which affect the women in around 20 to 80 percent. The condition is very common and it can be hereditary. In this guide we will explain in detail why fibroids can affect your fertility.
What are Fibroids?
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous which occurs in the uterus muscle tissue. Women have more than one fibroid which can be different in size and location. Their size is usually the size of a grape. The symptoms of fibroid can be different depending on the location. This means it can affect your fertility differently and you might need a different kind of treatment plan as compared to others.
In case, you are planning to conceive but are not able to do so, then visit our IVF centre. Our doctor will determine the reason behind infertility. In most cases, the couple can conceive successfully by undergoing the IVF.
Different types of fibroids
- Subserosal: Present in the outer wall of the uterus (55%)
- Intramural: Present in the muscular layers of the uterine wall (40%)
- Submucosal protrude: Present in the uterine cavity (5%)
The development of fibroids is still not clear, hormones, genetics, and environmental factors may play an essential role. When you visit the doctor, she will do physical examination and ultrasound to determine your condition in a better way. Imaging tests may be needed such as MRI.
How do fibroids cause infertility?
Well, this is a complex issue. Some of the studies state that women facing infertility have fibroids and the size and location can cause problems. If the size of the fibroid is more than 6 centimeters then it means they are very large and this can affect your ability to conceive naturally.
In most cases, the submucosal fibroid can affect the women’s ability to conceive. If the fibroid size is very large then it is possible that the fallopian tube opening is blocked which makes it hard for the sperm to get inside the ovaries.
When you visit the doctor she will evaluate the fibroids and let you know what kinds of treatment plan you need,
What is the reason fibroids cause Infertility?
- When the cervix shape changes it can affect the sperm to enter the cervix.
- With the blocked fallopian tubes it can be difficult for the fertilized egg to implant properly.
- When the uterus shape changes it can affect the sperm or embryo movement.
- With this condition, the uterine lining can be impacted.
- The blood flow might be affected which can make it difficult for the egg to implant on the uterine wall.
If you are facing difficulty conceiving or know someone struggling through the same, then make sure to consult the fertility doctor right away.