PCOS is a common problem and also the leading cause of infertility in women of the reproductive age. The majority of the women may live with the symptoms of PCOS without having an idea that it is PCOS
What do you understand by the term PCOS?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome PCOS is a condition where there are cysts in a woman’s ovaries. These cysts begin by being few until they become many and surround the inside of the ovary. They can attack one ovary or both and they worsen if not detected quickly by the doctor. PCOS are also known as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome where there are multiple cysts in the ovaries.
The root of PCOS
There are no major causes of PCOS, but it possibly due to hormonal imbalances where the body starts producing more male hormones than the female hormones. There are also high levels of insulin due to the fact that male hormones are highly produced. All these lead to PCOS in the ovaries hence infertility.
- Weight gain
- Excessive hair growth on the legs, arms and the chest
- Irregular periods or missed periods
- Acne breakout
The right guidance to patients about PCOS
The actual cause and treatment of PCOS differ greatly in women. PCOS treatment in India is provided according to how the doctor may find the stage of the PCOS and the symptoms in a woman. There is no direct cure for PCOS, but in conjunction with the treatment, the doctor will direct you on the best ways to manage PCOS. It is advisable that a woman monitors her body and in cases of hirsutim, difficulty in conceiving despite having unprotected sex for a long period of time, and irregular periods.
Due to the increase in androgens in the body, the body finds it hard to utilize the insulin and becomes hard for a woman to lose weight. Metformin can be used to correct the sugar levels in the woman.
In cases of severe PCOS, they can be drilled out in a surgery called laparoscopy. This procedure requires a small incision to be made in the pelvic region to access the ovaries and remove the cysts. Not all women undergo this procedure so other alternatives like the following are available
- Ovulation injections and medications can be provided to a woman who wants to get pregnant
- Change of lifestyle is advised where a woman smokes and physical exercises where a woman is obese.
- Women with PCOS can work on their diet by having low-calorie foods, including fruits at every meal and vegetables.
- Diabetes medicines can also be used as the doctor may recommend bringing down the insulin levels.
- Include soy Isoflavones, fiber, soybeans, Riboflavin and cinnamon.
- Take multivitamins every day
The cost of the treatment
PCOS treatment cost in India has no actual cost since treatment varies depending on the treatment used. The surgery cost may increase or decrease depending on the hospital visited and the medication and injection costs are low.
IVF treatment can also be used to treat PCOS where a woman has failed to conceive with the help of other alternatives.