The assisted reproductive techniques have progressed leaps and bounds by more and more people who are unable to conceive taking these treatments. The most commonly used treatment is In-Vitro Fertility.
What is IVF?
IVF stands for in-vitro fertility. People commonly know it as the test tube baby treatment. The process of in-vitro fertilization encompasses the fertilization of egg and sperm in a petri-dish outside the body that is why it is called in-vitro. In the process of IVF, the egg is combined with a sperm outside the human body or the human womb. After the embryo is formed, it is transferred to the woman’s uterus and the fertilization process continues as usual.
Reasons for IVF
The following can be the reasons that couple undertake IVF
- The tubes have been blocked due to infection or ectopic pregnancy.
- The woman is suffering from PCOS.
- Suffering from severe endometriosis Grade III/IV.
- Unexplained infertility.
- Women who have decreased ovarian reserve leading to declining quality and quantity of reproductive eggs.
- The women who plan to have a baby after attaining 38 years of age.
There are many facts related to IVF
- IVF is not always the first alternative: while many may think that IVF is the first option to conceive. The doctors, however, recommend trying to conceive naturally if a woman is in the age bracket of 30 to 35. If she doesn’t succeed within 6 months, the doctor tries oral or inject-able fertility. If that does not succeed even, IVF is suggested.
- IVF is better suited to young females: fertility is age-based whether it is natural or assisted. Thus, the chances of success of IVF are more at a younger age than older age.
- The cost of IVF: the IVF does cost a handful sums of money. One needs to allocate the funds in advance before going for IVF. Finances are also available to help with the same.
How can IVF be made more successful?
IVF is not a set fertility formula or procedure. Certain precautions and adequate care need to be taken to make it successful.
- Prior homework: there are numerous IVF centers available in every country and city. All of them claim to be the best. It is good to take the advice of some friend or relative who has had a successful IVF treatment from a certain center. But, it is best to visit the different centers and have a word with the fertility specialist. Besides, their records can be asked to know their success rate before finalizing any center.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is a supportive treatment for women who are undertaking IVF. It is because acupuncture improves the flow of the blood towards the uterus and ovaries leading to release of neurotransmitters
- Eat good fats in abundance: the women who consume monosaturated fats rich food get pregnant faster through IVF. These are good fats which protect the heart, decrease inflammation of the body, and improve fertility.
All in all, IVF is not the one-stop solution for infertility and women need to be prepared before and during the IVF treatment to make it successful.