Male infertility is explained as when a male is not able to cause pregnancy in a female fertile due to the semen deficiency and the semen quality. It a male’s inability to cause pregnancy in a fertile female. In humans, fertility accounts for approximately 50%. Whereas, male infertility affects around 7% of all males.
Types of treatments options available for males to cure their infertility:-
Non-surgical treatment options for male infertility:-
- Medication: There are some medications available for males to cure their infertility. These medications are generally prescribed by doctors to solve the issues of infertility which are caused by imbalance hormones or erectile dysfunction issues and due to an uncured infection.
- Sperm retrieval: Doctors allow sperm retrieval procedures to the males who have exceptionally low sperm counts or men with no sperm production in their ejaculate, or for those males who are not able to ejaculate. So, in this infertility, sperm retrieval procedures are considered to be the best option to retrieve sperm from within the body. Several methods are commonly preferred by doctors in sperm retrieval. Those are shown below:-
- percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration (PESA)
- testicular sperm extraction (TESE)
- microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA)
- testicular sperm aspiration (TESA)
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): It is considered to be an effective option for many male infertility cases proceeding from a variety of issues. IVF Process is performed in a specialized fertility lab. In this procedure, doctors use a sperm sample and retrieve mature eggs from ovaries of the female and the fertilization is going to take place under the controlled state. The consequence embryos are then cultured and watched in the clinic laboratory. After watching carefully, the most viable and the healthiest are being chosen by the doctor and then transmitted into the uterus of females, where they can implant.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI): ICSI is the predominant treatment for treating the severe cases of male infertility in which there are less healthy sperm cells that are feasible. In this treatment, doctors injected directly individual high-quality sperm cells into individual mature eggs to fertilize the eggs which are used in IVF procedure.
Surgical treatments for male infertility
- Ejaculatory duct resection: This is the effective surgical treatment that is used to clear the Blocked ducts which are the predominant cause for the male infertility issues. It is the painless and short surgery that is performed with the help of general anesthesia and it takes around one hour to perform the treatment.
- Varicocele repair: In this surgery, it is used to repair the varicose veins in the male’s scrotum, which develops the hospitable environment for the sperm. It is the minor outpatient procedure that improves the sperm count and motility and mobility of sperm.