Laparoscopy is one of the types of keyhole surgery which is performed around the belly area. As compared to traditional surgery, it has made the entire process comparatively simple and easy.
What is laparoscopy used for?
The laparoscope is used to diagnosis the condition in the abdominal and pelvic area and then perform the surgery. It is used to diagnose the condition of heavy periods, endometriosis (diagnose and treat), ovarian cysts (diagnose or remove), treat the ectopic pregnancy, remove the gall bladder, assess female fertility, remove the uterus, search the cause of pelvic pain, take a biopsy for testing, fallopian tube, removing the part of intestine, and to remove the cysts or tumour. If you are facing issue then you should consult our team of doctor for Laparoscopic Surgery in Punjab.
What is the procedure of Laparoscopic surgery?
In Scientific term, the laparoscopy is considered as a diagnostic procedure. Laparoscopic is used to visualized like the damaged organ and the problem. Before the surgery, to make the process go smoothly general anesthesia is given to the patient.
This means the patient is asleep when the laparoscopy is going on. This means the patient will not feel any type of pain while undergoing the treatment. In the surgical procedure, the surgeon inserts a device into the abdomen by making a small incision in the abdomen. With this, they will use a catheter, which helps in seeing more clear images of the organs in the pelvis and the abdomen.
At this time, the surgeon might use additional surgical instruments which can be inserted through the incision site. The person can expect four small incisions around the treated area. Moreover, the incisions are very small and they are only 0.5 inches long. In addition to this, it avoids the need for the open surgical procedure and this process is minimally invasive surgery.
The uterine manipulator might be used by the medical professional which is inserted into the vagina, uterus, and cervix. This helps in seeing the pelvic anatomy of the pelvic organ movement.
Once everything is done, the doctor will remove the carbon dioxide from the abdomen as well as the instruments. The incisions will be closed with stitches and the entire area is covered with a small bandage.
After the surgery, the patient may feel tired or nauseous which is due to anesthesia. In most cases, the patients are discharged on the same day of the surgery. But for some people, they might have to stay in the hospital till they are recovered properly, like in the case of laparoscopic hysterectomy (removal of the uterus).
Benefits of Laparoscopic surgery
- After the surgery, the patient does not feel pain and there is no bleeding also. As compared to other procedure where incisions are very large, it takes a long time to recover from the surgery and pain relief medications are also required. But, with this, the wound is very small and the healing process is painless.
- With laparoscopy, the risk of bleeding is also reduced because the incision is very small. Due to this, the risk of blood transfusion is reduced.
- The scarring is very less after the surgery. Earlier, when the surgical wound was larger, it automatically increases the chances of infection around the area. This problem is more common if the patient is overweight and obese.
- In laparoscopic surgery, the chances of exposure to the internal organs of getting contaminated are reduced. Whereas in open surgery, this is a huge problem which also increases the risk of post-operative infection.
- As healing is very faster, so the length of staying in the hospital is also short. In most cases, the patient gets a discharge on the same-day or next-day. This means the patient can return to their normal working routine very quickly as compared to an open surgery procedure.
Chances are very rare but in some cases the patient might have some complications like infection, bleeding from the incision, or the blood vessel is damaged. In some cases, there is also risk associated with general anesthesia.
If you notice pain is worse, bleeding is increasing, temperature, recovery is not fast, severe shoulder pain, or problem with urinating, then you should visit the doctor as early as possible.