Pre Implantation Genetic Screening
What Is PGS/PGD
Advantages Of PGS/PGD
- Highly beneficial for couples who undergo IVFs , specifically aged couples and those who has experienced frequent unsuccessful pregnancies naturally as well as by IVF.
- The test uses advanced and scientific validation technique to find the chromosome compliment in one cell.
- It doesn’t affects the embryo growth or neither cause any imperfection in baby because adequate apparatus and specialized people perform this procedure.
- As with increasing age the count of eggs decreases in addition of their quality. So there are more chances of abnormalities in eggs produced by overly aged women, therefore test is essential.
- Couples with double or more miscarriages take the benefit of this test
- Females suffering from abnormalities while getting pregnant find this test useful
- In case of male factor infertility, poor sperm motion, ineffective sperms or extensive DNA in sperm, the test is used to determine the developed embryo quality.
Advantages Of PGS/PGD
- A female needs to undergo regular IVF cycle
- An embryo is well developed in lab within 2-3 days and consists of 8 cells
- A specialist removes single or double cells from embryo
- The received cells are analyzed to find an genetic problem in the embryo that might be transferred from the family
- An embryo that is completely normal is transferred to the female’s uterus for further development
- The perfect remaining embryos if available are frozen for the future use.
- If any embryo is found imperfect, they are perished or with your confirmation they are used for research.
PGS/PGD screening/diagnosis has a major benefit for those who have experienced repeated IVF indications. Specifically recent maternal age couples who have faced several pregnancy failures naturally as well as with IVF. A reduced live birth rate is a major problem for modern families who select to have kids in the future and is firmly related with the high maternal age embryos describing higher chromosomal defects. Without performing the PGS/PGD test, the embryos are only selected by their visual characteristic and morphology that are unable to find the difference between good quality embryos and defected embryos. Addition of PGS/PGD in IVF cycles help to evaluate the embryos by checking their chromosome content and is more preferable to get quality pregnancy that can be carried to the full time.
So PGS/PGD is essential for IVF couples who want to stay assured of being parents of genetically normal kid. Every couple should choose this test.
Disadvantages Of PGS/PGD
- Risk of embryo damage due to cell removal. Therefore only highly specialized doctors should perform this test.
- A chance may occur when no embryos are found fit for transfer in to uterus.